A distinct advantage of watching a live horse race and making your bet at the racetrack is that you can check out the condition of the horses personally before making your bets. You can personally evaluate the condition of the track and determine how well your chosen horse might perform there.
However, one cannot always go to a racetrack. Most of the time, placing your wagers online is a more convenient alternative. However, since you do not have the distinct advantage of personally checking the horse yourself, then you’ve got to learn to use other strategies of increasing your chances of winning through online betting. Here are some tips:
1. Learn as much as you can about the horse’s history before making your bet. Although not a foolproof method, past performances are a good indicator of how well a horse will fare during a race.
2. Check out when the horse has last participated in a race. A good rule of thumb to follow is to not bet on a horse who last raced more than a month ago. The horse might have been given a good workout or has just recovered from an injury and is in tip-top shape, but the chances of it winning are still not good. Take note that you want to place your money on the horse with the higher chances of victory.
3. Don’t bet on equines who haven’t placed in the top three in its last three races.
4. Look at the jockey’s winning percentage and if it’s been consistently low, don’t bet on his mount.
5. After you’ve eliminated those with the least chances of winning, look at the speeds of the remaining horse and bet on those with the best speed. You can also consider placing bets on the other horse you feel might place second or third.
Online horse betting isn’t an exact science, and like any form of gambling, there are no guarantees of winning. But with these tips, you should be able to increase your chances of making profits.